Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Has Anyone Heard About The BCG Study?

Has anyone heard about the BCG Study in Boston? I had not until I, oddly enough, was having my teeth cleaned! My hygienist's husband is a T1D, and she had found the study. Now, let's face it. Any diabetic does not *want* to be one. YES we love Afrezza, but imagine a life without ever taking any type of insulin. Think about it. You could do whatever you wanted and never think about lows or highs. EAT whatever you want without fear of those nasty highs. My mind can't comprehend it.

Dr. Denise Faustmann, Director of Mass General's immunobiology lab, stated T1D's were given two of the TB immunization shots (yes you read right, Tuberculosis TB!!) over four weeks and saw long term results. Blood sugars lowered and remained lowered for at least five years. She stated this was a much more cost effective way to control diabetes.

She doesn't claim T1's would be off insulin permanently, but she does state for at least five years levels remained within the normal range without lows and highs and no insulin. The vaccine is known as Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG). It's already FDA approved. During the study, A1C's went from an average of 7.4 to 6.2 and by the end of the eighth year the A1C was 6.7.

There is a lot of skepticism with this study, but I'm still curious if anyone else has heard about it or even participated in it. I'm not one who does immunizations. As a matter of fact, my youngest (now 18) has never been immunized (yes, I'm one of them!).

I'm excited to hear if anyone else knows about this. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment