Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Dexcom-No Thanks

Last Thursday I saw Dr. A and after all the hype about Dexcom, I finally had the opportunity to chat with Dr A about it. He was on board with me getting one. He gave me the info and sent me on my way. I must admit, I was excited to learn more about it. After all, with all the help and information I'd received from you all (especially on Twitter, you all rock!), it was finally time to chat with a rep. I called. I waited.

That evening I called the 800# and spoke to a rep. He stated he would put me in contact with another rep. Finally, I was able to connect with someone. Her knowledge of diabetic pumps was ZERO. I was trying to figure out the actual size. We made it through that LOL, poor gal. To truly understand me, you must realize when I'm in business mode, that's it. I'm a blunt, direct person. All the while displaying Christ and His love for us. That's not always easy when you're dealing with people who don't listen. Don't you love it when Christ wants to strengthen our patience, so He provides us with tests to do it. LOL

I think I passed it, but it was a HARD test. Needless to say, I won't be getting a Dexcom. The functionality of it is great. But I can't put it in my stomach; that was a huge reason I dumped the pump. She stated it didn't work as well anywhere else, but I could try. Um-I think not! Also, the device is MUCH larger than a pump infusion. I'd definitely get that thing hooked on everything.

She stated it would be better if I didn't wear it on vacation, because though you can get it wet, you can't wear it if you are in water deeper than 8 feet. Well, scratch that. I plan on swimming when I'm in Hawaii in a pool deeper than 8'. She also stated you change the site every 7 days. REALLY? As a diabetic, I can't believe that's healthy. You change a pump infusion every 3 days to prevent infection, what makes this so special? Why wouldn't this follow the same logic? I realize it's a different device, but diabetics have to be SO careful, and this one is just puzzling me. So, while I'm thrilled it's helping so many people, in my life, I've decided it's just entirely too complicated at this point in my life. I'll stick to sticking my finger 10 times a day.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe try wearing one on a trial basis, through your endo's office (most have the ability to set this up). There's a number of things that maybe were miscommunicated, or not explained enough. There are "official" rules that Dexcom and these other company reps must follow, but as we all know -- we're not always FDA compliant in our daily lives. Many of us with Dex wear it on our stomachs, other places without issue. I wear mine in the water, from swimming to showers to etc. (Though, not necessarily that deep). 7 days is what it's approved for, but most of us get more than that. And it's different than a pump subcutaneous infusion cannula. In the coming months, the transmitter/sensor part you wear on your skin will be MUCH smaller than it is now (which I consider to be less of a burden than any pump site). The next gen Dex in the next year or so will be 10-day wear, meaning we'll probably get 2+ weeks on it no problem. Anyhow, don't give up so quickly on it based on a single rep's perspective. Good luck, whatever you choose!

    ReplyDelete