Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Day 3 and going strong

Well, this morning I had a dentist appointment. My hygienist was excited to hear about the new meds especially the Afrezza as her hubby has diabetes. She was also excited to hear how great my levels have been.

My fasting was 97. I ate then it was 87. I took my usual 10 units of Tresiba and my usual 4 units of Afrezza. All was well UNTIL the "incident" at the dentist with my youngest child (16 years old). Without going into too many personal details about my kiddo, they gave her a medication I'm 100% against due to severe jaw inflammation. I'm "going as holistic as possible" type of gal, and there was no reason for her to give this medication without my knowledge. My daughter's jaw was hurting, so she took it. Anyway, I say all of that to say that due to the adrenaline rushing through my veins, my level by lunch time was 173. Still within the range my doctor had given me. He wants me to stay within 80-180.

Now it's after lunch, the household is calm, and I'm still hungry. I'm a huge snacker. HUGE. GIGANTIC. ENORMOUS. I'm careful though what I snack on. I usually eat peanuts or almonds. Yep. They raise my sugar levels (doesn't everything?! I mean seriously, I think air would raise my sugar some days!). So anyway, this is Day 1 of usual snacking for me. We shall see. Current level is 141. I've eaten 4oz of Aldi's salted peanuts. They have 6 grams of carbs for a 1/4 cup. I'll check my level again in a hour to see how it's responding. So far so good. It is 187. Yes a little past my range, but it's still good.

Since I did great with the peanuts, I think I've become a little more daring now. I'm going to have some coffee with creamer. Sounds pretty dumb, right? Well, when you're trying to figure out insulin, it's not. Everything counts. OK so, that did it. My 187 within minutes of taking my first few sips of coffee went to 212. I figured it would. I took 4 units of Afrezza. Within 10 minutes, my level is back down to 182. Have I mentioned I LOVE AFREZZA??????

Only diabetics watching every carb will understand this.......I decided since it was a day of new food adventures that I would have a few crackers with chicken salad for supper. Oh mercy. I want crunchy food and very few crunchy foods are carb free, so I had to give somewhere. Again, most will think eating a cracker and caring about eating it is ridiculous. No way! Huge big deal in my world. I was a little scared about taking 4 more units of Afrezza since I took it just a few hours ago with my snack. Then I remembered it's only in my system for 2 hours. This meant I was safe. So my level was 180 to start. I ate. After eating 8 ritz crackers, it's 175.

Taking the Afrezza is becoming so much easier. I haven't gagged or chocked at all today. The cough is still there, but I am used to it now I guess. I don't know! When I first started this, I said there was a slight weird taste. I remember thinking and believing there was a taste, but now I don't taste anything.

Another successful day. Surely this perfection can't last forever, can it??????








No comments:

Post a Comment