Monday, October 24, 2016

Day 2-Food Poisoning and mini vacation all in one

Well, there's nothing quite like beginning something new and then going on a mini-vacation. There's also no better way to see if this is going to live up to what doctor's say it does. Outcome-IT DOES. I called both Tresiba and Afrezza to find what I should do about refrigeration since both require it. I followed exactly what I was told, and it all worked out perfectly.

My sugars were only high a few times, and to be honest, I have to take the blame because, though everyone says you don't need to count carbs, you really do-well-in a way. I didn't estimate properly. I should have taken 8 units of Afrezza and only took 4. During this time, first night of vacation, I became extremely ill with food poisoning. I was so sick. I just knew it was the side effects of Afrezza. My mind wandered. Nope, in fact, it was food poisoning. I won't bore you with the details, but I can safely say my sugars went up a little from that. NOTHING like before when I was on the pump.

So, I walked almost 15,000 steps my first day of fun. I was still a little under the weather but determined nothing was going to stop this vacation. I ate lunch later than normal. Now, all you pump users, you know that could mean a sudden crash. Not with these two insulins working together. I did, though, start to have a little heart palpitations. I sat and rested and was fine. It could have been from the previous day. Who knows?!

Day two, another huge success. I walked almost as many steps and again did fabulous. I still noticed a slight lingering cough, which is a side effect and I'm perfectly ok with that. These meds are working so great that I don't care about a slight cough. Afrezza is by far the best short acting insulin on the market. It's amazing.

I have noticed that I've lost 4.8 pounds since starting this. I'm certain it's because I've become fixated on checking every bite that goes into my mouth. For example, before in the mornings I would grab a cup of coffee, dump my creamer into it, hit the pump, and get cleaned up. Not now. I have to wait until I'm ready for breakfast. That's really the only true draw back that I've seen. It's not even that big of a deal.

I drove home today, 9 hours, and I have no issues at all. It was a little scary to decide what to eat while driving home. I chose a burger with all the toppings, no bun and no fries. If I was still hungry, I would have gotten a small salad or something. Taking insulin is not healthy for the body, so eating healthy is the best choice we can make. Is it easy? NO WAY. I love sweets. LOVE THEM...did I say LOVE because I really do. I just know I have to eat them in moderation. Maybe once every few weeks and a tiny amount. I also have found that cutting out all types of flour has been a huge success.

So, I began this on Thursday, today is Monday. I had food poisoning, enjoyed driving over 1400 miles for a weekend getaway vacation, and I can confidently say Afrezza has been the best thing a diabetic can use to control sugar levels.










No comments:

Post a Comment