Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Great Pump Dump of 2016! Day 1

Yesterday, I went to see my endocrinologist, Dr Ernest Asamoah. Many, many years ago (about 18-19 to be not so exact) he changed my diabetic regimen from 6 shots a day to an insulin pump. I was a kid in a sugar-free candy store. I didn't care that it meant I couldn't swim (I'm a brittle diabetic and couldn't go without my pump more than 10 minutes every hour), that my length of time in the shower would be shorter, that I couldn't get in the hot tub, which isn't good for a diabetic anyway, wearing dresses would be harder, or that I would have to change my site every 3 days. WHO CARED!!??!! I was 6 shots a day free. (Can you hear the hallelujah's?)

Now, fast forward to September 1, 2016. Dr A stated he thought it would be best if I "dumped the pump" and started something new. My stomach and legs were so full of scar tissue from the pump, I would have to insert a new set 4-5 times every 3 days. It was painful; tears were shed due to frustration and pain. Dr A wanted me to go home, gather all the information I could about Tresiba and Afrezza. He told me I needed to completely educate myself and even suggested a few "good and bad" websites from other users.

I did just that. I even called a family meeting with my husband and children to get their input. So far, all things were a go. I wasn't supposed to see Dr. A. until December. I couldn't wait. I *had* to do this. I was just like that kid in the sugar-free candy store from 18-19 years ago. I told him, "Let's dump the pump!" He was thrilled with my decision. Off I went to take a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT), which I passed with flying colors.

He gave me clear instructions, wrote them all down for me, and asked me repeatedly if I had any questions. I could barely sleep last night with anticipation of today. I prepared the Tresiba as instructed. The directions were really easy to follow. The needle is super tiny. I really didn't even feel it going into my leg. Now it was time for breakfast........ugh.......this meant I was now going to have to inhale my insulin.

Well, being the adult that I am, I chose a breakfast that had no carbs! (did I mention I was still a little antsy??) My morning fasting was 101. An hour later it was 150, then 161, 165, 204, then finally 226. WHAT? I didn't even eat any carbs, how is that happening??? So, in my calm manner, I called Dr. A. Ok so maybe calm wasn't the right word.....I was PANICKED. He basically said "shame on me" because regardless of what a food says, it will have a carb in it and I must take insulin.

Here goes.....I put the cartridge in just as I was taught. I inhaled. OH MY. I choked. I kept reading where it said Afrezza does not have a taste. WRONG. It does. It's not a nasty, gross, I-can-never-do-this-again type taste. More like a yuck, weird taste. I kept coughing afterwards. It was annoying but not anything major. Within 40 minutes, my blood sugar had lowered to 192 then 162, 158. My pump would have never done it that quickly.

Supper time rolled around. I'll admit, I'm still a little intimidated by this whole inhaled insulin stuff still. So, I figured I would have to take it because, well, I was hungry and everything apparently has at least one carb in it. UGH. I followed the instructions. I inhaled it. Again, I choked and gagged. It was a mess! My blood sugars were absolutely perfect.

Dinner time I decided to eat a few more carbs than normal. I took my 4 units of Afrezza. I choked and gagged. I survived. It's getting easier. It's been 2 hours since my dinner and my blood sugar was 226 then within minutes it jumped to 251!!! OUCH. I knew I had eaten a lot of carbs though. So, I took 4 units again (this time NO GAGGING OR CHOKING). Keep in mind, Afrezza is completely out of your system after 2 hours.

I go back in 2 weeks to see Dr. A. He told me he would feel 100% confident about me throwing out the pump after minimum of 4 weeks of successfully being on this new regimen. I'm determined to make it happen.  It's very important to keep a complete log so your doctor can accurately monitor what you're doing. Your doctor can never have too much information.

Day 1 down, a lifetime to go.......









2 comments:

  1. I trust you have learned early on that a sip of any liquid befroe inhaling will ease that coughing matter, right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, thank you so much. Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Technical difficulties :) Anyway, it was a mess at first. I would choke and gag, but now it's good. Can't say enough great things about Afrezza.

    ReplyDelete