Monday, November 7, 2016

Going Strong

Well, it's still going great. I went to Chicago for the weekend, which always worries me when I travel. Everything was perfect. I have noticed I am so much more health conscience than ever before (and I was pretty good about it before). For some reason, I don't want to take 8 units. I know I can. I know I will. I know I don't want to do it.

Since there are no real guidelines on what units to take, this is what I've done. I always take 4 with my morning coffee since I use creamer. For most suppers when out of town, I eat a either a fried or grilled chicken salad. I can still take just 4 units. I eat a small salad not the huge ones.

I'm still not having side effects, which is FABULOUS. OOH, I also found a great way to carry my stuff when traveling so I can put it back into the refrigerator. I went back for my 2 week follow up. Dr A. was so thrilled he hugged me! Now, keep in mind he's been my doctor almost 20 years, so he's griped at me, yelled at me, has been disgusted with me and has also rejoiced with me.

I told him I needed a way to transport the Afrezza and even the Tresiba (it's not that big of a deal since it can stay out of the refrigerator for 2 months and still be fine). He said there is a website called www.coolerconcept.com. Most of the products keep your medications cold for 45 hours. This is perfect!!!! I ordered the exlarge because when I travel...I can be gone for quite some time, so I needed to make sure it was large enough to hold several weeks worth of supplies. I'm going to check it out to see if it really works. If so, I'm going to buy a small one to carry in my purse for when I'm out and about. So, no more Afrezza frustration. Dr A. assured me it works. He bought one for his mother. That's exciting to me that a doctor uses it.

Now that it's November 7th, it's time to start finding some healthy Thanksgiving and CHRISTmas recipes. I've never worried before, because, hey, I used a pump. Just shove a bunch of insulin in me that will cause highs and lows, make me sick, cause my levels to bottom out, and BAM I eat what I want. Not this year! This year I'm going to eat so much better. I know I'll probably take 8 units on both days. I also know I do not want to cram a bunch of sugar and processed junk in my body. We eat to live. We do not live to eat.

I know the temptations will be there. I must resist....resist the devil and he will flee (James 4:7)! Sugar is our enemy just like Satan is. I love a good challenge, so I'm looking forward to the holidays not just for the typical reasons (which are enough for me of course) but also because I want to see how well I can manage my levels.

I have blood work to check my A1C the end of the month. I'm super excited. My last one was 8.7. UGH. Not good. I can't wait to report what it's going to be on Afrezza.






No comments:

Post a Comment