Tuesday, November 1, 2016

My first real Afrezza frustration

Today my husband and I were talking about some upcoming traveling plans. I was curious about how to store the meds on the plane and things like that. I called MannKind. They have no idea! That's right. NO CLUE. They said I should call the airline and see if they could help me. Really? They're the makers of the meds. How frustrating. The create a med and cannot tell you how to store it when traveling. I asked if there were plans to research this. NO. I asked if they could tell me, since it can't be frozen, how it's stored when being sent from MannKind to the pharmacies and doctors' offices. They freeze it. Again WHAT?????? I can't freeze it, yet you can while shipping it????? This is making no sense to me.

I found a small portable device that refrigerates medication for several days. It's battery operated. It's also almost $200 and out of stock on every website I checked. There are also a few other sites I looked at that have items that will keep insulin cold for a few hours. Well, I plan on being on a plane for 9 hours one way. That's not much help. My Afrezza frustration has set in. It's a small hurdle that I know will be concurred. For the time, it's annoying.

On a positive note, I have determined I can successfully go out to eat with friends and keep normal levels. Tonight was a huge success. I knew I wanted a cup of coffee with cream, which meant 4 units of Afrezza. I also knew my dinner wasn't going to be a high carb one, so I was a little concerned. All said and done, I came home with a level of 102. It's getting easier to decide how much to take.

Tomorrow morning I have an appt with Dr A. I'm excited to see what he decides!! Only 2 more weeks to go and I can officially throw away my pump.

2 comments:

  1. These Afrezza users mentioned it still working after being left at room temperature for 10 days:
    http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/t/how-long-do-you-keep-afrezza-unrefrigerated/52148

    This one user mentioned it still working after 161 days!
    http://afrezzadownunder.com/2016/01/afrezza-extreme-storage-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about these sites. This is great. Thanks! YIKES 161 days! Great info though, thanks.

    ReplyDelete