Thursday, November 10, 2016

Weekly Menu only 4 units each meal

Remember when I said I loved food? It's still true. I've just become more aware of what to eat. Yes, I should have done this years ago, but I didn't. I told my husband, Michael, last night that starting Afrezza was like becoming a diabetic all over again. I am excited to find new recipes that are healthy and do not raise my levels. I still like to only use the 4 units.

So, last night I was making out our weekly menu list. I found what is actually called a breakfast cake is a breakfast cake, snack cake, anytime cake! Here's the link for the Flourless Pumpkin Breakfast Cake. http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/09/20/healthy-flourless-pumpkin-breakfast-cake/#comment-194945.

I used a small baking dish and divided it into 12 equal pieces. Then I took one piece and divided that in half. I would have had to have 8 units for 1 full piece. My "breakfast cake" didn't quite turn out like the picture as mine was more of a condensed version, but it was really good. Each year at Thanksgiving and Christmas I make pumpkin muffins which require 3 cups of flour (ouch! Diabetic nightmare) and 2.5 cups of sugar (the nightmare worsens). This requires 1/2 a cup of sugar and fullness of flavor.

I was on a hunt for tasty recipes. I get up each morning and make my husband breakfast before he leaves for work. We are very tired of eggs each morning. So here is our menu plan for this week.

Breakfast
1. Cheese crusted omelet with avocado (http://www.mycopenhagenkitchen.com/2015/06/02/cheese-crusted-omelet-with-avocado)
2. Oatmeal with blueberries with #5 (I make the oatmeal. I do not buy the packaged stuff)
3. Greek yogurt with blueberries and blackberries
4. Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake (http://www.diabeticlifestyle.com/blogs/tasty-life-fresh-food-diabetes/cinnamon-streusel-coffee-cake-please note that I never use splenda. I use Stevia or raw sugar)
5. Pumpkin Breakfast Cake (http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/09/20/healthy-flourless-pumpkin-breakfast-cake/#comment-194945)
6. Eggs & Turkey Bacon
7. Oatmeal again
I have coffee with creamer each morning too, which is why I take the 4 units most days.

Supper
We always eat leftovers for our suppers, so there is no additional planning.

Dinner
1. Cilantro Lime Chicken with steamed broccoli and small side salad (http://rasamalaysia.com/cilantro-lime-chicken/2/)
2. Pesto Salmon and Italian Veggies (http://www.cookingclassy.com/pesto-salmon-and-italian-veggies-in-foil/)
3. Bunless burgers topped with bacon, avocado, tomato, cucumber, bread and butter pickles (hubby only!), green beans and corn-on-the-cob
4. Crockpot Lasagna (http://www.wellplated.com/low-carb-lasagna/)
5. Zucchini spaghetti with meatballs and spaghetti sauce I canned in the summer
6. Baked chicken over salad with all the "fixings".....boiled eggs, tomatoes, onions, green peppers...
7. Homemade Chicken and vegetable soup

Nightly Snacks
These vary each night. I had the pumpkin breakfast cake last night. I also eat mixed nuts, stringed pepper jack cheese, you can also take 1 graham cracker, split in half and then add a cream cheese spread and top with strawberries. It really depends on my mood.

All of these work perfectly with just 4 units* of Afrezza for ME (*I do not need insulin with any snacks except the breakfast cake and graham cracker ones). I enjoy mixing up my snacks.

This journey has been so freeing. I'm still thankful I dumped my insulin pump. Time to start planning next week's menu. Any suggestions?
















No comments:

Post a Comment