Monday, December 26, 2016

Flu....Afrezza.....The Ugly

Well, since I've been since I've noticed that it's been very difficult to inhale the Afrezza. I hate to even speak...uhm...type those words since it's the best out there. It's true though. I have a cough ONLY when inhaling Afrezza-yes I took a drink but it's because I'm sick. I am finding it harder to inhale it. When I'm done, I don't even know if I got it all. It's been a little unnerving.

Yesterday was Christmas and I had a doosy of a time with my levels. I went to the oldest kiddos house for dinner. I stayed a very short time because I was sick. I came home. My sugar was 213 (after eating/drinking nothing....don't you love diabetes!). I took 4u and went to bed. A few hours later it was 316. WHAT??? Now since I hadn't eaten I knew it was the illness. Inhaled 8u. Coughing the whole time. Oh my not a fun experience.

I love Afrezza, but I believe people need to know the good and the bad. Such as, since I've been sick and a few times before it made me feel jittery after inhaling. I'm fine, but it's weird. That's the way it is. Life isn't a bowl of peaches; there are a few lemons thrown in there too.

Afrezza and the flu thankfully DO mix! I have never in my 23 years of this retched disease been sick and had my levels this manageable. This morning my husband commented how great it was. He said (and I quote!), "Well, that's something that would have never happened." Me, "What?" Michael, "You on the pump and keeping your sugar under control like that. You would have stayed in the 300's the whole time."

This medication truly affects the entire family. So to sum up the beginning of flu season and Afrezza (oh I've left out my E.O.'s that were used, but if you're interested let me know).

Pros
Sugar levels easy to control
Works quickly when levels spike due to illness
Easy to prepare when you're sick in bed and don't even want to move
No worries about levels dropping when you don't feel like eating

Cons
Hard to inhale when coughing and chest hurts
Makes me feel a little jittery after taking

Yep that's it. Pretty much sums up my life since Friday.










2 comments:

  1. Luckily I've only been sick once since being on Afrezza. I caught a cold last year and struggled with inhaling too. I found that popping a cough drop before puffing or drinking hot tea helped me. Good luck! I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. I'll try that. Thanks. I drink a lot of hot tea, but never thought of doing it before hand. I was scared/shocked all at once thinking that I was struggling inhaling. I'm feeling a lot better, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete