Saturday, December 24, 2016

Flu...Tresiba...Afrezza...Dynamic Duo Works Again!

Remember when I said I needed to prepare for when the time comes of sicky season? It's here!! Last night, hubby took me to a MedCheck. Fever 101.8, chills, achy, etc. You've got the picture. I'm sick. As I write this, I'm in bed, slurping on homemade chicken broth.

Last year when I wore my pump, my doctor would say, "Increase your basal rate, because you know your sugar stays high when you're sick." Then I'd increase it, take my bolus, bottom out, sickness would get worse. It was a vicious cycle.

This time, so far, the highest it's gotten is 231. I did not increase my basal. I took the same amount of Tresiba. I've eaten only chicken broth and crackers today. I just took 8 units of Afrezza since it was 231 and I'm eating 5 crackers. It's been 24 hours and though I feel horrible on this Christmas Eve, I feel better than what I did last year. Well, I say I feel horrible, but I'm actually feeling as though I'll live tonight. Last night was questionable.

Some will say it's the Tresiba. YES it is. It's one of the best long acting insulins out there. However, I have no fears or worries with the Afrezza like I did with the pump, because there are no highs and lows. I RARELY take 8 units-RARELY. Tonight, I'm good with it. Having the flu is never fun but knowing my levels are remaining this low (yes I consider 231 low for the flu) I'm 100% good with all of it.

I hope I will be human by tomorrow, Christmas!! I have been looking forward to my oldest daughter hosting this Christmas all year :( One thing is for sure, whether I'm sick or healthy, my dynamic duo won't let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment