Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Not So Much Diabetes (Afrezza/Tresiba) Related-Or Is It?

Today my youngest wasn't feeling well, so I took her to a minute clinic (first and last experience). I gave the Nurse Practitioner a list of my daughter's allergies (food and drug). The NP gave us an antibiotic and sent us on our way. Now, I could have been upset about the fact the NP had us wait while she finished texting, because it could have been patient related (hmmmm....doubtful....but could have been), or I could have been upset when my daughter would try to answer questions, the NP would look at ME. HELLO, my child is 16! But I chose to allow all of these things to go.

What I could not let go of was when I put the ear drops in my child's ear and within minutes she starts having horrible allergic reactions to it. WHY? Because she was prescribed a med she was very allergic to. I called the 800# on the form. Their response-Sorry. We can try and get a hold of the NP and have a new med called in. REALLY. Are you seriously kidding me???? Oh my stars.

As I was going crazy about this, trying to find out how to handle the allergic reaction, trying to get a new Rx called in and trying to figure out how to handle the incompetent NP, my levels were going crazy.  (Let me interject, the print out the NP gave me LISTED the med as an allergy. I didn't know this drug was a compound in the ear drops. The NP did as she told me later she did but didn't think it was a strong enough dose to make a difference.)

At first, they started out ok, but any competent diabetic knows they won't be staying that way when 100 different emotions flood you at one time. That's exactly what happened to me. Now, when on the pump, I would not have been surprised if they would have reached 300. Today, I'm happy to say they didn't go over 182. This is high for me now that I've started on Afrezza and Tresiba!!

So now that I'm calm, I can carefully reflect on two very important things about the day.

A. Daughter, though extremely sick in bed now, is doing so much better.
B. My levels didn't go over 182.

After the day I've had, I just have to say once again that this combination of insulins is the best out there.






No comments:

Post a Comment